Summer Spectacular at Godinton House and Gardens: Flowers and Delphiniums, Panoramas and Lightroom
Learn to Make Effective Use of Depth of Field, How to Shoot and Process Panoramas in Lightroom at Beautiful Godinton House and Gardens
5th June 2018
Join best-selling photographer Doug Harman and Photographer and renowned Photoshop Artist Sue Chapman ARPS, CPAGB for Capture and Create’s Summer Photography one-day workshop with exclusive access to Godinton House and Gardens.
Learn creative shooting techniques; making the most of depth of field and learning how to shoot panoramic images, including a gorgeous array of summer flowers in the frame. In the afternoon image editing session we will show you how to process your panoramas and give you tips and techniques to use with your photographs from the morning’s shoot.
Godinton House is ancient; a largely brick-built stately home with a surviving Jacobean hall; the stunning façade forms an elegant backdrop to its surrounding formal gardens. A variety of statues are also “hidden” around the estate, along with beautiful ponds, one including a charming duck house in the wild garden.
Godinton House and Gardens is set in the countryside on the outskirts of Ashford, Kent just off the A20 Maidstone Road, and is truly a hidden gem, a gem that transports you into a world of elegance and splendour thanks to the grand buildings and it’s stunning setting. Famed for its spectacular displays of Delphinium, irises, wild flowers and roses and in the Spring for its wonderful array of daffodils, wild anemones, tulips and apple blossom and for having one of the longest Yew hedges in England, this is a photographic opportunity not to missed.
• Entry to Godinton House and Gardens and lunch is included in your Ticket •
Directions: Godinton House and Gardens is located just three miles from Junction 9 of the M20 near Ashford, Kent. Follow the signs to Godinton House along the A20. Please note the main gates will not be open in the morning when you arrive. You will need to continue on a further mile (approx) and take the main Exit (it is also the trades and deliveries entrance) further down the lane. Here’s a link to a Google map and below in “Additional details” you’ll find illustrations so you can locate the main exit, trades and deliveries entrance.
This one day workshop comprises the following:
- 0945 – 1000 Meet and welcome at Godinton House, Ashford with coffee, introductions and day plan itinerary
- 1000 – 1030 An overview of the type of images you will be able to capture at Godinton, along with some of the challenges we will set you; including how to optimise your use of depth of field and shooting panoramas; we will be helping you throughout.
- 1030 – 1300 Wander into the garden and enjoy our morning exclusive access, as we have the gardens to ourselves! Experiment with the various techniques suggested, as guided by both Doug and Sue. You may use tripods not normally allowed on normal afternoon visits. Should you wish, we have a mid morning refreshment break squeezed in here too.
- 1300 – 1400 A delicious working lunch is provided
- 1400 – 1445 Image Editing tuition – The basics of how to upload and process your panoramic shots and other images in Lightroom. Including afternoon refreshments.
- 1445 – 1545 Practical image editing session for you to edit your best images from the morning’s shoot.
- 1545 – 1600 Share your best image of the day. Question and answer session.
- This one day workshop caters for beginners to intermediate. Some basic Lightroom knowledge is beneficial but not essential.
Workshop Cost: £139 per person
Contact Doug or Sue for more info and booking on: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Itinerary is subject to change based on weather and other eventualities outside Capture and Create’s control, but the core workshop content will remain the same. Unless very severe weather warnings are issued we will shoot in sun or rain so please be prepared for wet windy weather or sunshine! Godinton House has two greenhouses, so some indoor photography is possible even in wet conditions.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entrance into Godinton House is not covered by any current Historic House or RHS membership (such as English Heritage or National Trust membership) as we have exclusive access for this workshop event.
What You Need to bring…
Although you may use the many formal pathways at Godinton House, should you wish to walk over any of the grassy areas to capture that “extra special” shot, we would still recommend waterproof walking shoes and a waterproof jacket, for when the English weather surprises us all. Of course it it’s very warm and sunny. a sun screen may be needed, fingers crossed.
- Camera gear and accessories
You will need a camera where you are able to control aperture, shutter speeds and ISO (the sensitivity). It does not need to be an SLR however. Additionally…
- A reasonable capacity memory card, such as 8GB – or higher – compatible with your camera.
- If you have other lenses, then please feel free to bring them with you: A macro lens will be extremely beneficial.
- A tripod is required but if you do not have your own, just let us know and you may borrow one of ours. (A table top tripod will NOT be suitable, sorry).
- Your laptop with a minimum RAM of 4GB, 8GB or higher preferable.
Should you not have Lightroom pre-installed on your PC, we suggest you download a free 30 day trial directly from Adobe a few days before the start date, which will be fully functional for the workshop and allow you to get a feel for the program. Alternatively if you have another preferred software package, that is fine, but it is possible not all the techniques we are working with will be applicable to that software and / or we might not be able to assist you in your editng of your images..
DETAILS, REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT
Refreshments and Working lunch.
Photographic and photo editing and guiding/instruction throughout the day
Entry fee to Godinton House Gardens only (Not House)
What’s not included:
Travel to and from your home.
A Warnborough certificate unless requested at an additional cost of £50 per student.
A Deposit payment will initially secure your place on this workshop until full payment is due. Full payment must then be settled with 5 working days of us requesting payment
Bring a friend and you will both get an additional £10 off your workshop price! Use voucher code “Minus 10 for 2” (This is in addition to the early bird discount if you book early)
Additional Location details
Here are illustrations to assist you in locating the main Exit (and trades and deliveries entrance) where you will enter Godinton House on the day.