An Introduction to Macro & Close-Up Photography
24th February 2018
Join best-selling photographer Doug Harman and Photographer and renowned Photoshop Artist Sue Chapman ARPS, CPAGB for their Macro and Close-Up Photography one day Workshop at the Oak Room in Smeeth.
This one day workshop comprises the following:
- 0945 - 1000 Meet and welcome at the Oak Room, Brabourne Lees with coffee and introductions.
- 1000 What is the difference between macro and close-up work and an introduction to the basic techniques and equipment used for close-up and macro work.
- 1100 Weather dependent there will be a 15 minute outside challenge to shoot something close-up
- 1115 Practical session 1: Demonstrating equipment, techniques, lighting, and composition.
- 1215 Working Lunch (provided as part of the day).
- 1315 Practical Session 2: Demonstrating equipment, techniques, lighting, and composition.
- 1445 Refreshment break
- 1500 Time to upload and edit your photos in Lightroom or Photoshop.
- 1600 Share best images of the day and Q&A
- 1615 Summary and close
- This one day workshop caters for beginners to intermediate levels of experience. Some basic knowledge of either Adobe Elements, Lightroom or Photoshop – or any other editing software you use and are familiar with – is preferable but not essential, so that you can upload your images and do some basic adjustments in order for us to view and share your best photos from the day. Limited access to one of our laptops will be available.
NB: The practical sessions will consist of 4 tables, each with a different set-up for you to photograph; allowing you to have approximately 15 minutes shooting time for each set-up.
- The workshop is here for you to make mistakes and learn from them, guided by Doug and Sue, your expert tutors. The key to the day is to experiment and have fun. And remember, your fellow photographers have your same passion for photography, the more you can interact with them as well as with your tutors, the more you will learn and enjoy the day.
Workshop Cost: £90 per person
Contact Doug or Sue for more info and booking on: email@example.com
SUGGESTION: IF you have something you would like to experiment with taking a macro shot of it, please do bring it with you. A coin, a favourite flower, or a small ornament say, all make great subjects.
What You Need to bring...
- Camera gear and accessories
You will need a camera where you are able to control the aperture, shutter speeds and ISO (sensitivity) of, but it does not need to be an SLR. However do bring along...
- A macro lens if you have one.
- A ring flash if you have one.
- If you have other lenses, then please feel free to bring them with you too.
- A reasonable capacity memory card, such as 8GB – or higher – compatible with your camera.
- A sturdy tripod (NOT a tabletop tripod) is highly recommended, particularly if you want to try focus stacking; if you don't have a tripod, we will have a few spare tripods to loan on the day.
- Your laptop with a minimum RAM of 4GB, although 8GB of RAM is advisable.
- Spare memory card(s).
- A fully charged battery in your camera (and at least one spare fully charged battery) but if you don't have a spare battery, bring the charger with you to give your battery a boost at lunchtime. However, please don’t feel you need to buy a new piece of equipment just to attend the course, you may not need it.
If you do not have Lightroom or Photoshop or Elements already installed on your PC, we suggest you download a free 30-day trial directly from Adobe a few days before the start date which will be fully functional for the workshop. A basic knowledge of any one of these programs is essential for this workshop.
Refreshments and Working lunch.
Tuition as per workshop guide above, primarily focusing on the photographic element of macro work throughout the day.
What should I do if I get delayed en-route?
Don't worry. You can just join us whenever you arrive. Just give us a quick call so we know to expect you later.
What's not included:
Travel, to and from the venue.
Approximately 3-4 days before the event we will send you a reminder with the key details.
The Oak Room, Smeeth, Ashford, Kent, TN25 6SA